July 29
Emma has now been running fevers for a full week now with no real cause. The fevers started last Wednesday the 22nd and have mostly been low grade around 100.5, but it seemed like at least once or twice a day she'd spike to 102-102.5, When it's been low grade she has acted completely fine and you'd never even know she had one unless you touched her and felt how warm she was. However, when she'd get up to 102 she usually starts looking like she doesn't feel well and that's when I'd give her Motrin to bring her fever back down, otherwise I'd just let it run it's course. The first couple of days she really had no other symptoms other than the fever, but then on Sunday the 26th she developed a non-productive cough which she still has. I've also noticed that her appetite has been decreased the last couple of days and she has been more tired lately. About 3 weeks or so ago she stopped taking an afternoon nap, but since she's been sick she has been asking to go lay down for a nap every day. They have been 2-3 hour long naps as well. Since she really hasn't acted to sick I kept going back and forth whether or not I should take her in, but since I was off work yesterday and today I decided to just take her in while I could. So yesterday I took her in to see Dr. Horkley at 4:30. I'd checked her temperature a couple times throughout the day, but the highest the thermometer ever read was like 99.7 and she was pretty playful yesterday so I never medicated her. However, when we got to the doctor's office she was 101.4. (Side not she also weighed 29 lbs 8 ounces and was 36 inches tall.) He checked her out and listened to her, but didn't find anything definitive that was causing her fevers and basically attributed it to a virus (exactly what I figured he'd say). He named the adenovirus as a possible culprit that can cause a cough and prolonged fevers. Although I'm happy he didn't find anything, it's also frustrating that I don't have something to treat other than her symptoms. He did say that if she is still running fevers by Friday/Saturday that he'd like to do some blood work, maybe a urine sample, and further testing. I hate seeing her not feel well and I'm praying that her body can get over whatever it is that's causing it! So far today the fever has continued and she again asked to take a nap around 12:30 and slept for 2 hours. She seems to be coughing a lot today despite having cough medicine and she looks pale to me today. Praying she gets better soon!
Update: July 31
Emma has continued to run fevers since she was seen at the doctor a couple days ago, so since Dr. Horkley had said he wanted to see her back I called to get her in today. This morning she was acting very lethargic and I couldn't get her off the couch. She also didn't have much of an appetite, even though she wasn't actually running a fever this morning. I was really debating whether or not to take her in, but I really didn't like how she was acting so I decided to keep her appointment. Of course by the time her appointment came around she had started to perk up and had finally eaten something so she had some energy. By the time we got to the office she was acting like her normal self again and we had to see a different doc, because Horkley was out of town. We saw Dr. Brown, who pretty much said the same thing as Horkley had 2 days ago and said that since she looked so good right now he didn't want to put her through lab work and said we should give her the weekend and see what happens. Although I was happy she didn't have to have lab work done, if I'd known he wasn't going to I probably would have cancelled the appointment. Oh well, at least I have peace of mind that I've done all I can for her at this point. While we were in the office waiting for Dr. Brown she was being silly with my chap stick.
Steven and our neighbor Kort Woeller also gave her a priesthood blessing tonight that she might feel better. I'm so grateful for a husband who is a worthy priesthood holder and can bless our children anytime it is needed. Also grateful for good neighbors who are willing to come help as well. Now I know that we truly have done everything that we can for her, and I pray she gets over this quickly now!




















































