What would you call these?
I was born in the 1980s. The 90s is a decade I actually start to remember things. The 1990s ("nineteen-nineties") or the 90s ("nineties"), was the beginning of the proliferation of personal computers in homes and the Internet, pagers, tamagotchis and rollerblades. Then it was the year 2000, Y2K, the turn of the millennium.
But what does one call the decade 2000-2009? The 2000s ("two-thousands")? It can't possibly be 00s; I don't even know how to pronounce that! Even 2010 to 2019, the decade we're currently in, is tricky, albeit slightly less. One could call it the 2010s, pronounced "twenty-tens", "two thousand (and) tens", or even 10s - "the tens". For some reason, it still sounds like a plural of the year 2010. I don't know!
All I know is that come, 2020, it will be a relief when we can start calling the decade 2020s ("twenty-twenties"). Although we can't say the 20s ("twenties") because then it could be confused with the 1920s. Or maybe by the 2020s, decade-naming conventions would have changed in the English language.
But what does one call the decade 2000-2009? The 2000s ("two-thousands")? It can't possibly be 00s; I don't even know how to pronounce that! Even 2010 to 2019, the decade we're currently in, is tricky, albeit slightly less. One could call it the 2010s, pronounced "twenty-tens", "two thousand (and) tens", or even 10s - "the tens". For some reason, it still sounds like a plural of the year 2010. I don't know!
All I know is that come, 2020, it will be a relief when we can start calling the decade 2020s ("twenty-twenties"). Although we can't say the 20s ("twenties") because then it could be confused with the 1920s. Or maybe by the 2020s, decade-naming conventions would have changed in the English language.