Apple Pie Time!
For my sister's birthday yesterday, I baked my famous apple pie. (Ting, Jo, and Jon, it's much better now, I think I've just about perfected the recipie.)
The Filling
1kg Ganny Smith or Golden Delicious apples
1tsp lemon rind
1/2cup raisins
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp vanillia
3tbs brown sugar (I ususally leave this out unless the Granny Smiths are too sour.)
Peel and dice apples, combine all ingredients in a pot and stew on low heat for half an hour.
Shortcrust Pastry
2cups plain flour
pinch of salt
125g butter
3tbs water
Sift flour into a large bowl, add salt.
Cut butter into small pieces, rub butter into flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
Make a well, add water and stir quickly.
If needed, add more water, just enough for dough to stick.
Wrap dough in baking sheet and refridgerate for 20 mins before using.
Bake in forced fan oven at 250 degrees until brown.
I like to make the base thicker than the top, so when I divide the dough, I use less for the top. I also like to press in some cinnamon sugar on the underside of the top crust to give it extra flavour.
Brushing the top with egg white will give it a shine. If you want to save some time, you can buy frozen pastry from the supermarket instead of making it from scratch.
The Finished Product

Would you believe that when I first moved out to live on my own at the beginning of the year, I couldn't cook? Ha. Unbelieveale. But apple pie is actually very easy to make.
By the way, I still have some in the fridge. So if you're nice to me...
The Filling
1kg Ganny Smith or Golden Delicious apples1tsp lemon rind
1/2cup raisins
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp vanillia
3tbs brown sugar (I ususally leave this out unless the Granny Smiths are too sour.)
Peel and dice apples, combine all ingredients in a pot and stew on low heat for half an hour.
Shortcrust Pastry
2cups plain flourpinch of salt
125g butter
3tbs water
Sift flour into a large bowl, add salt.
Cut butter into small pieces, rub butter into flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
Make a well, add water and stir quickly.
If needed, add more water, just enough for dough to stick.
Wrap dough in baking sheet and refridgerate for 20 mins before using.
Bake in forced fan oven at 250 degrees until brown.
I like to make the base thicker than the top, so when I divide the dough, I use less for the top. I also like to press in some cinnamon sugar on the underside of the top crust to give it extra flavour.
Brushing the top with egg white will give it a shine. If you want to save some time, you can buy frozen pastry from the supermarket instead of making it from scratch.
The Finished Product

Would you believe that when I first moved out to live on my own at the beginning of the year, I couldn't cook? Ha. Unbelieveale. But apple pie is actually very easy to make.
By the way, I still have some in the fridge. So if you're nice to me...