eleryth wrote in kimonoworld 🤔curious Toronto

Listens: Kitchen Nightmares (TV)

Summer in Spring? Seasonality of "Fabrics" Question

Alright, this is something I've been thinking about the past few weeks, and thought maybe it'd be a good discussion if I took it to other kimono lovers. :)

What are you views on seasonality, mostly regarding fabrics? Is it malleable?
Do you dress for your seasons and weather, or try and plan according to the charts for Japan (i.e. first day of 'spring' is April 1, October 1 is another big 'change' date)?

Why is this on my mind? It's been unseasonably warm the past few weeks (not the last few days, though, it's back to normal March temps). I live in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area, and the other week we had temps in the mid 20C range. It was pretty much like summer - people were wearing tank tops and shorts. For comparison, the average March high is 3C, and the average March low is -5C. So weather 20C+? Crazy! I didn't have any kimono events, but seeing people change their Western clothing made me think of summer wafuku. If I had any, and had an event in the past few weeks, would I stick to awase (lined) or move to hitoe (unlined), or go all the way to ro or sha?* What would you do? What have you done? Do you dress for the weather, regardless of the date?


*In reality, I don't really have many hitoe, like, 2 that I can think of that aren't dancewear, and no ro/sha summer weave kimono, so I wouldn't have much difficulty in making a decision.