Happy Birthday MBMK!
I've started to write this email at exactly 15.08 EST, meaning it is 8 hours and 52 minutes until you turn 18, according to my time time. Okay, so over there in
It's been just over a year since I got that first lovely comment from you, and since then we have had our ups and our downs, and I think when it comes to you I have very nearly experienced every emotion it is possible for a human to experience. And that's a good thing. I've got to know almost as well as, if not as well as, I could have done if you'd been living next door to me my whole life, and I love everything about you. There is not one thing about you as my friend that I would change.
We both have so much shit going on in our lives that sometimes I think it is a miracle we've made it as far as we have, but we have been there for each other for almost 14 months solid now, with some arguing (go us!) and what a hell of a 14 months they've been. I don't know if they've made me stronger, or weaker, but it doesnt matter, because whatever they've done to me, they've kept us friends, and that is more important than how strong I am.
This isn't going to be the longest letter, because I don't want to say too much, seeing as you will have a letter coming your way as soon as I get my butt down to the post office. I just wanted to say that I love you unconditionally, and I hope you have a great birthday. I shall toast to you first thing when I am still awake tomorrow morning at 3am because by then you will be legal (in
Happy Birthday Brandy.
- Kim.
Title: SSSFICMTGOFTHEBETTERVERSION...Complicati
“Addie, what are you doing in there? I have to go to the bathroom.” Mark’s knuckles rapped loudly on the wooden door to the bathroom and
“I’ll, uh…I’ll be out in a minute.” She quickly wiped at her eyes, careful not to smudge any more make up than her tears previously had.
“Addie, I have to go to the bathroom now. It’s not one of those things that I can hold at the moment.” Mark hit the door again a few times, leaning against the wall as he shifted his weight from foot to foot.
“Hey, slow down.” He lightly wrapped his fingers around his wrist, stopping her as she tried to pull away. Standing in front of her he brushed her cheek with the back of his hand. “What’s the matter?”
She fixed her gaze on the square tile of the bathroom for a few moments before she looked up and wrapped her arms around him, sobbing into his chest. “I’m so sorry.”
He instantly wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight in his embrace confused as to why she was apologizing to him. “What are you sorry for Addie?” He asked as he let out a half laugh, unsure of how he was supposed to react to her sudden outburst of tears.
It seemed like forever before she moved up to rest her head on his shoulder, taking deep breaths and preparing herself for what she was about to tell him.
“I’m pregnant,”
“That’s it?
“Hold on. I can’t figure this out. We had sex last week for the first time. You and me had sex a week ago for the first time. Sex happened between me and you for the first time a week ago. Sex-”
“No matter how many times you say it Mark, you and I had sex for the first time a week ago.”
“Isn’t it way to early to tell if you’re pregnant? I don’t understand all this baby, vagina, birth thing.”
She pulled away from him and let her gaze meet his, tears still falling freely down her cheeks. “You’re right…it is to early to find out It’s-Oh god….” She leaned back against the wall and covered her face with her hands. She couldn’t understand why this had to happen to her? Was this her punishment for falling into bed with her husband’s best friend?
“If it’s to early to figure it out then how…” His eyes widened in shock when he finally pieced together what she had been trying to tell him. “It’s…you’re…you’re pregnant with…You’re pregnant with Derek’s baby.” He took in a few deep breaths trying to wrap his head around everything. He couldn’t be mad at her. She didn’t ask for this and she certainly didn’t plan it to play out this way, but a part of him was just furious that…he didn’t even know.
Taking her hands away from her face she ran her fingers through her hair, trying to figure out what she was supposed to say. “I shou-I should go; stay at the brownstone. I understand if you never want to see me again.”
“No. I’m just in the processing stage. I just…I can’t wrap my head around the face that you’re pregnant…and with Derek’s child. I just don’t know what to say.” He ran his hands through his own hair, totally forgetting that he had to go to the bathroom in the first place. He wasn’t sure what they were supposed to do now that she was going to have a baby with Derek. Where did he fall into all of this? Did she want him raising the child with her? Was she going to tell Derek? There were too many questions swirling throughout his head and leaving him in a pure state of confusion.
She stared up at him, reading his mind and reading his body language. Despite everything that had happened in the past week, he was still Mark and she was still Addison and they could read each other. They’d always be able too. She took his hand in hers and squeezed it tightly. “I don’t know what I’m going to do…but we will get through this.”
“I don’t know what to say
“I don’t know either, because I’m me?” She said sadly. They stood there in silence for a few moments before she spoke again. “I don’t—I don’t want him to know…about the baby.”
“He’s going to have to find out eventually
“He doesn’t have to know,” She spoke quietly, hugging him tighter to her body. “It doesn’t matter if there are complications or not. I’ll file for divorce and send him the papers. He’ll sign and we send it to the lawyers and we’re free. He’ll never have to know…”
He held her hand and squeezed it before lifting up her shirt slightly to expose her still flat and toned stomach to him. He kissed just above her belly button lightly and then placed his hand where his lips had just been. “Hard to believe that…I don’t know, there is something in there…growing.” He couldn’t tear his eyes away from her stomach. He had seen it many times before throughout the fifteen years he had known her, but in a split second it looked different to him; it felt different to him. Almost like foreign territory he was exploring for the first time and it made his heart swell several sizes larger. All of this was new territory for him.
She smiled softly at him, running her fingers through the soft curls in his hair. “I know. It’d feel a lot more amazing if we weren’t in these circumstances.”
“Lets just try to focus on the good that is going to come from this…you and I are going to have a daughter or a son. We can do this Addie.” He smiled, brushing his fingers against her belly before traveling up her body to place a soft kiss on her forehead. “You of course though, will be in charge of changing diapers and all that because I assume that you’d freak out at me if you came home one day and our baby was sitting in a duct tape diaper.” He shrugged his shoulders and offered her a small laugh. His eyes traveled to her stomach again, not wanting to drag his eyes away from it as if a baby bump would appear any second.
“You mister, are going to learn how to change diapers the correct way. And you…are going to help me paint a nursery and pick out all the wonderful clothes and everything else.”
“Any idea’s on if it’s a boy or girl?”
She smiled and took his hand, placing it on her stomach and running their hands across her bare skin. “I don’t know…I have a feeling…” She closed her eyes for and thought for a moment as Mark studied her; noting as much as he could as if she would disappear when her eyes opened. He hadn’t seen her this happy since…in a long time.
“It’s a girl.” She spoke quietly and smiled at him, lacing their fingers together over her abdomen.
“That means I’ll have two princesses to spoil. Let’s just hope that she doesn’t find the same love in shoes as you did or we’re going to need to buy a huge house with spare rooms dedicated to the never-ending shoe collection of the
She nodded, grinning from ear to ear with tears of joy rolling down her cheeks. Their life was going to be just perfect. “We’re going to have a baby…You and me.”
“And she, if it is a girl, is not allowed to date or have sex until she is in a retirement home. She isn’t even allowed to think of sex until she is in a retirement home. And if she doesn’t want to be a doctor than that’s okay. She can be whatever she wants to, but not a porn star. I don’t want her doing those types of films.”
“And no pole dancing.” He smiled and kissed her back, shifting down her body again so his head was resting gently on her abdomen. “This is your daddy speaking and I’m letting you know now that you are not allowed to do this types of films ever. As long as we’ve got that clear then feel free to make mommy throw up or whatever it is you’re supposed to be doing.” He laughed softly, placing one last kiss near her belly button before he scooted back up the bed beside her.
“Make mommy throw up? Seriously? Just for that comment, I’m going to make sure you’re the first one she spits up on,” She said smirking as she slapped his chest.
“Hey babies are supposed to make their mommies throw up. I’m just letting her get a head start so that it will end faster for you. You should be thanking me instead of hitting me.” He laughed softly, rubbing soft circles on her upper arm. “I can deal with spit up, because I’ll just ask you to clean it up for me. And if I get the spit up, I’ll curse you with the first poppy diaper.”
She laughed again and went to lay on top of him, resting her chin on his chest. He kissed her lips, unable to stop the smiling that was tugging at either ends off his lips from appearing on his face. He loved seeing her this happy.
She pouted and silently thought for a while before she opened her mouth to speak. “Fine. How about we settle for no morning sickness, no spit up and no poopy diaper.” She wriggled her way up and kissed him softly. “What do you say to that?”
“Sounds like a good deal to me.” He wrapped his arms around her and pressed her body even closer onto his. “I love you so much Addie. We’re going to raise such a beautiful child.”
“I love you too and yes, we are…” She spoke softly, shifting back to her side of the bed and began to slowly rub his chest as they laid together in silence for a few moments. Her hand stopped running along his chest and just rested there as her eyes closed and she slowly let sleep overtake her.
Mark watched her for a few moments before reaching for the sheet, pausing a quick moment to stare at her stomach…a baby…their baby. They were going to have a baby and although biologically he wasn’t the father, he was going to be this baby’s father. Pulling the covers over both of them, he closed his eyes too and let sleep overcome him, his hand resting protectively on their child.
