DC, PG-13, "Many Things Were Like Sleep" by SomeInstant
Story: Many Things Were Like Sleep
Author:
someinstant
Quite a bit has been written about the pain and suffering Bill Willingham's run on Robin has caused so many of us, so I'm not going to go into it again here except to say that I've been extremely impressed with the various ways people in this fandom have found to work around it.
While the temptation to simply write 'fix-its' is high (oh so VERY high), quite often the fans have taken a step back and said "well, okay, there's nothing *inherently* wrong with most of these events, I just have to try to make them sensible in a character-specific way."
This story is one of my recent favorites of that particular sub-sub-sub-genre, taking a good hard look at the wreckage of Tim's life and doing a rather good job of explaining how it could get to *be* that way -- using the characters as an impetus, as opposed to the writers' own issues.
It's a quiet, subtly written little thing with lots and *lots* of that yummy emotional character porn I love so well. Check it out. :D
Author:
Quite a bit has been written about the pain and suffering Bill Willingham's run on Robin has caused so many of us, so I'm not going to go into it again here except to say that I've been extremely impressed with the various ways people in this fandom have found to work around it.
While the temptation to simply write 'fix-its' is high (oh so VERY high), quite often the fans have taken a step back and said "well, okay, there's nothing *inherently* wrong with most of these events, I just have to try to make them sensible in a character-specific way."
This story is one of my recent favorites of that particular sub-sub-sub-genre, taking a good hard look at the wreckage of Tim's life and doing a rather good job of explaining how it could get to *be* that way -- using the characters as an impetus, as opposed to the writers' own issues.
It's a quiet, subtly written little thing with lots and *lots* of that yummy emotional character porn I love so well. Check it out. :D