¿Hablas Nihoñol ka?
こんにちは!
All is well with me, and I hope you are well, too. I just stopped by to give a warning to anyone taking my advice to learn an easier language before one's target language: don't be surprised when your brain gets confused! (At first.)
What I mean is that it will take time for your brain to be able to accurately sort-out the things you know already (the second language) from what you're learning now (your third language). I see it as if my brain has two "bins" in it: one bin is for my native English. The second bin is for Spanish ... and Japanese. .-. It's as if my brain believes the new Japanese words are more Spanish vocabulary!
Really, I had this problem before (okay, it still happens!) when learning a smidge of Esperanto. I'd try to speak Spanish and an Esperanto word would come forward, fully under the delusion that it was a Spanish word. (Oops! You don't have kokinoi in México?)
Well, the Spanish-Esperanto flubs made sense as they are similar in ways ... but, "Tengo 八つ." ... What?
Okay ... really, it's because I know so much MORE Spanish than Japanese that my brain is filling in the unknown "I have" in Japanese with "I have" in Spanish. Therefore, "I have eight things" is logically "tengo 八つ"! ... いいや!("Nope!")
Well, I suppose I understand now why language learners across the internet have said this phenomenon goes away. I just need to beef-up my Japanese knowledge and I'll soon have a bin just for Japanese stuff in my language center. :) Then, I can say, やったー!("Hooray!")
So, try a second and then third language and don't be surprised when you end up with tangled vocaulary for a time. It's both natural and temporary!
Have a blessed day. :)
All is well with me, and I hope you are well, too. I just stopped by to give a warning to anyone taking my advice to learn an easier language before one's target language: don't be surprised when your brain gets confused! (At first.)
What I mean is that it will take time for your brain to be able to accurately sort-out the things you know already (the second language) from what you're learning now (your third language). I see it as if my brain has two "bins" in it: one bin is for my native English. The second bin is for Spanish ... and Japanese. .-. It's as if my brain believes the new Japanese words are more Spanish vocabulary!
Really, I had this problem before (okay, it still happens!) when learning a smidge of Esperanto. I'd try to speak Spanish and an Esperanto word would come forward, fully under the delusion that it was a Spanish word. (Oops! You don't have kokinoi in México?)
Well, the Spanish-Esperanto flubs made sense as they are similar in ways ... but, "Tengo 八つ." ... What?
Okay ... really, it's because I know so much MORE Spanish than Japanese that my brain is filling in the unknown "I have" in Japanese with "I have" in Spanish. Therefore, "I have eight things" is logically "tengo 八つ"! ... いいや!("Nope!")
Well, I suppose I understand now why language learners across the internet have said this phenomenon goes away. I just need to beef-up my Japanese knowledge and I'll soon have a bin just for Japanese stuff in my language center. :) Then, I can say, やったー!("Hooray!")
So, try a second and then third language and don't be surprised when you end up with tangled vocaulary for a time. It's both natural and temporary!
Have a blessed day. :)