National Coming Out Day
It's National Coming Out Day, so I thought I'd just take a moment to say (something that most of you already know): I'm asexual.
I've never dated in my life, and never wanted to date. Finding a boyfriend (or a girlfriend) is an utterly unappealing and uninteresting prospect to me. Why on Earth would I want to do that?
I don't face the bullying, hatred, and cruelty that most folks in the queer community do - though I do see ignorance. I get a lot of 'bwah?' and 'Oh, you just haven't found the right man yet,' or 'don't close yourself off to the possibility!'
But the fact is that I'm 31 years old, and I've never been interested in a sexual or romantic relationship. I'm asexual, I consider myself a part of the queer community, and I stand firmly in support of equal rights for all. And I feel proud to be witness to a time when the tide finally seems to be turning in our country - with greater understanding and acceptance, and less hatred and bigotry.
I've never dated in my life, and never wanted to date. Finding a boyfriend (or a girlfriend) is an utterly unappealing and uninteresting prospect to me. Why on Earth would I want to do that?
I don't face the bullying, hatred, and cruelty that most folks in the queer community do - though I do see ignorance. I get a lot of 'bwah?' and 'Oh, you just haven't found the right man yet,' or 'don't close yourself off to the possibility!'
But the fact is that I'm 31 years old, and I've never been interested in a sexual or romantic relationship. I'm asexual, I consider myself a part of the queer community, and I stand firmly in support of equal rights for all. And I feel proud to be witness to a time when the tide finally seems to be turning in our country - with greater understanding and acceptance, and less hatred and bigotry.