Skype under Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid ibex

FolIowing the upgrade,  had some trouble getting Skylpe to work.  Installing it was no problem.  It's on the medibuntu repositories, but it wasn't playing nice with the audio.  I finally found the fix here and here.

1. 
  • killall pulseaudio
  • sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
  • sudo apt-get install esound
  • sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio
2.

I'm not sure how much of this will turn out to be necessary.  For me, all I had to do was insure that the "capture" block was checked but I'd been futzing with my audio settings for several hours before I stumbled on the solution.

A) The microphone capture is turn off by default to turn it on:
  1. Double click the volume icon on the panel.
  2. Now click Edit, Preferences.
  3. You then need to make sure Microphone, Mic boost, and Capture are ticked.
  4. Now there should be a Recording/Capture tab in volume control panel.
  5. Go through each volume setting and make sure nothing is turned down or muted.
  6. In the Switches/Options tab make sure you select the Microphone as the input source.
B) Edit /etc/esound/esd.conf to look like this:
[esd]
auto_spawn=1
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 1
spawn_wait_ms=100
# default options are used in spawned and non-spawned mode
default_options=

C)
Restart alsa-utils:
# sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart