jedielf 😴sleepy

Listens: I'm Having A Party - Jonathan Coulton

We'll put on records and no-one will dance

It doesn't really feel like four years ago when David Tennant was the new Doctor in Doctor Who. And then three seasons happened plus some Christmas specials and other non-Christmas specials, plus a few animated stuff and all that. All that adds up to less than two seasons of US TV shows, that's how fast it's all gone.

But I totally love Matt Smith, absolutely have when I found out he was going to be the eleventh Doctor and recognised the guy from The Ruby In The Smoke.

Steven Moffat is fucking awesome. He fucking wrote Coupling, for Chrissakes. I haven't seen any episodes of Press Gang, but I'm pretty sure that's good as well, just because he wrote it. And I absolutely love all the previous episodes of DW that he wrote. He seems to know what the kids really like and not underestimate them with shitty aliens like Russell T Davies seemed to with *cough* Slitheen and shitty episodes like Love & Monsters (with a baddie designed by a 9 year old Blue Peter winner. While I do appreciate that kid's imagination, I highly question Rusty's decision to let the Absorbaloff onto the show.) So yeah, I was pretty fucking excited when it was announced that Grand Moff Steven would be taking over as Head Writer and Executive Producer.

I don't mind the new theme song, but I actually prefer the previous one. I'm a bit of a fan of the whole cinematic score thing. Still have the soundtracks to two Lord of the Rings movies and the Star Wars theme is one of my favourite pieces of music of all time, even though I tend to prefer music that has words and that. So uh, that might have something to do with that. The title looks interesting though. Love how the logo turns into the actual TARDIS.

Onto the episode. The plot is quite clever but not too obviously cerebral for what seems to have become the traditional season opener, which is more about the excitement than anything else, I think. It's all to draw the audience in and get them ready for the next twelve episodes plus Christmas special.

In the past four Moff-written episodes, time-travelling has been one of the major things raised as an Issue between characters, so I was kind of guessing that when that clock changed from eleven-thirty at night to some time past ten in the morning, I knew that it was going to be a lot later than just the next morning. Also supporting my guess was the fact that the little girl said her name was Amelia Pond, and I knew for ages that the new companion was going to be an early twenties-ish looking lady named Amy Pond. This time-travel issue has almost become like a Moffat trademark, and I really look forward to where he's going to take all that, because really, once time gets played with, you can unleash a stampede of Butterfly Effects and all that. Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey.

One thing I didn't like about the episode is: Why does the boyfriend have to be a dunce? This has been done before with Mickey, who had to officially break up with Rose to kick some arse. Can't companions have Significant Others Who Are Not The Doctor who are as clever, if not smarter, than they are? So Rory isn't a complete idiot - he was the person who recognised the coma patients and took photos on his phone when he saw them outside the hospital when they should have been in a coma, but still.

I knew Matt Smith was going to be awesome as the Doctor, and I'm really relieved to say that I like Karen Gillan as Amy too. I want to see Rory return, but smarter. In the show, pretty much everyone on Earth knows that aliens really do exist. I don't think that he should have been all "Aliens? WTF?"

Looking forward to the next episode next Sunday!

I think that's a long enough reaction post, especially for 2am in the morning. Good night.