"Song of the South" to be Released on DVD.
I heard from a LJ buddy of mine the Disney is going to release the animated-live action movie "Song of the South" on dvd sometime this spring.
The last time I saw it was in a movie theatre back in the late 1970s. I remember the "Zippedy Do-Daw" song.
I bring this up because I was wondering if anyone here has seenit? Do you think it has racial sterotypes? Does it have any redeming value? Should it be released again? And should it's release be supported or protested?
My view: I barely remember it, but I do remember the "Burr Rabbit" stories. I always thought they had good morals and as "Trickster Tales" hold an unquie place in African American oral history. I would let my 3 kids see it, but I would also explain to them any racial sterotypes that appear in it. I did that when I watched "Gone With The Wind" with my oldest daughter.
I look forward to you comments.
The last time I saw it was in a movie theatre back in the late 1970s. I remember the "Zippedy Do-Daw" song.
I bring this up because I was wondering if anyone here has seenit? Do you think it has racial sterotypes? Does it have any redeming value? Should it be released again? And should it's release be supported or protested?
My view: I barely remember it, but I do remember the "Burr Rabbit" stories. I always thought they had good morals and as "Trickster Tales" hold an unquie place in African American oral history. I would let my 3 kids see it, but I would also explain to them any racial sterotypes that appear in it. I did that when I watched "Gone With The Wind" with my oldest daughter.
I look forward to you comments.
