skyeblux wrote in 52crafts 😟blah

Week 8 ~ Bleached Outcome!

Howdy gals and guys! It's your crazy crafter reporting in!
So doing just that, I have to say that I love this idea. I was bleaching outside in the sun, making a mess and causing water fights AND giving my clothes a cheap face-lift, where's the negative!

This really is a great craft because even if it goes wrong all it's cost you is a 40p bootle of beach and an old t-shirt that you were going to dump anyway and as times are tough at the moment why buy new when you can make new!

For my t-shirt, a purple number from tesco!!! (with shoulder pads - what's that about?) I drew out a butterfly stencil in my sketch book, cut it out using a stanley knife that was less than sharp so that bit did take me quite a while and then cut around it with those funky material scissors that chop in zig-zags so as not to fray the fabric (I can't remember what you actually call them!)

I also cut out to strips and used one of my craft paper punchers to decorate those. Having laid these out on my flat t-shirt i also sprinkled some stars on one side and some shells on the other and put some small pebbles on the design to try to make sure it didn't move - a more patient and professional person would probably use sand paper to make there stencil or buy adhesive spray.

The result as you can see for a first attempt ain't half bad and the variety of easy designs is endless. I was thinking about trying laying feathers on the shirt of flowers or leaves, bottle caps, tin can pulls anything.

The only problem I encountered was that I didn't either 1.) use enough bleach or 2.) leave the bleach on long enough to have a sharper contrast but that's trial and error and I will know for next time.

I also tried tie dying a pair of purple 3/4 length trousers and it works - easy just grab bits of material and stick a rubber band (once you have chased the cat plus rubber band round the house that is) around them and soak. Again I didn't leave the bleach on long enough so it didn't really work as the colours were too close but you could see the effect that the bands had and how easy is was to achieve.

Many thanks to all of you who are following this challenge